These shiurim are being given on Thursdays in Y.U. in Rav Twersky’s daily shiur. We hope to add each week’s shiur as the year progresses.
- Listen using the player below
- Click the “track lyrics” button or see the table below the audio player to read a detailed description of a shiur
- Click the download button next to a shiur to download that shiur
See the table below the player for details about the shiurim in this series.
|1||Correctness of Torah||36:16||Ramban: “Arur asher lo yakim…” The kabala is not just practically complying with miztvos, but also an underlying conviction and recognition that mitzvos are emmes. “Emmes” here means that Torah & mitzvos are the true blueprint of how one comes close to HKB”H, lives morally, ethically, etc., in spiritual reality.|
Soul is naturally eternal, schar olam hazeh is miraculous. Punishment is also miraculous, since the soul is naturally eternal.
Someone who feels Torah is correct will both fulfill it and also encourage others to fulfill it.
|2||Ramban: Parshas Nitzavim||42:41||– “Lifnei Hashem” refers to the content and essence of what is being done (in addition to the permanent lifnei Hashem that is always existentially true). Alternatively, refers to the aron.|
– The shavua and curse is what’s being added in the bris. What’s HKB”H’s side of the bris? What’s he committing to? That his commitment is to all of us, rather than, for example from after the Eigel, wiping us out and rebuilding Klal Yisroel just from Moshe.
– We are very susceptible to societal influence, even when it’s disgusting like Mitzrayim, Cana’an etc.
– Sherirus libi: person would think he isn’t accepting the shavua and will do what he wants, but in fact he doesn’t have the ability to opt out.
– Sefos harava es hatzeme’ah: tayva can never be satisfied, so if one caters to the tayva instead of disciplining himself, he will both have a stronger tayva for whatever he indulged in and also will have additional tayva for other (more depraved) things. One can’t “compromise” with tayva; the more you feed it the more it grows and expands. Whatever we do is important in and of itself, and also because it creates momentum.
|3||Ramban: Parshas Vayelech||44:13||– Hester panim followed by a lesser form of hester panim, due to there only being a “hirhur v’charata”, but not a complete vidui. What’s missing? It was a hirhur balev, but not a vidui and teshuva shleima; like someone who knows he’s wrong about something but not ready to admit it. What would prevent someone from saying vidui once he realizes he sinned? If he’s not willing to muster the strength to change, he will be hesitant to verbalize it. Verbalizing comes with a heightened degree of recognition & acknowledgment, hence leaving it as a thought only.|
– Ketanim referred to in hakheil are higi’u l’chinuch, hence “yilmidu l’yirah…” One element of chinuch is parents teaching something the child can already understand, but sometimes it’s correct to plant seeds of something the child will appreciate sometime in the future. How do you read the passuk if you assume it’s yonkei shodayim? Exposing the child to such an atmosphere does have an impact on the child’s neshama.
– Tzivui means Yeshishua was appointed – minui. Rav zt”l points out that Rambam learned like this as well in hakdama to Mishna Torah, where Rambam is saying that Moshe appointed Yeshoshua as the guardian of the mesorah.